For overseas students who seek education in China, CSC is the competent institution responsible for receiving applications both from students commissioned and sent by foreign educational institutions and non-governmental friendship organizations and from students at their own expense.
I. Duration of Study
Years of study for all types of students :
Undergraduate: 4-5 years
Master Degree: 2-3 years
PhD : 3 years
Non-degree Advanced Study : less than 2 years
Advanced Visiting Scholar : Within 1 year
Short-term Students: 6 months or less
All of the above do not include years of Chinese study in China after they arrive.
II. Eligibility of Applicants
1. Non- Chinese citizens with good health ;
2. Applicant's education qualifications:
a. Those who apply for study in China for undergraduate degree must have graduated from a senior high school degree or above;
b. Those who apply for study in China for master degree must be a university graduate;
c. Those who apply for study in China for Doctoral degree must have master degree or above ;
d. Those who apply for study in China as general visiting scholars must have be sophomore or higher;
e. Those who apply for study in China as senior visiting scholars are required to have a master's degree or higher or shall be associate professors;
III. Submission of Application Materials
1. Those who meet the eligibility criteria are required to fill out the "Application Form for Foreigners to Apply for studying at their own expense " (in duplicate) .
2. The application form submitted shall be accompanied by the following documents :
a. Final Degree certificate (Shall been notarized) ;
b. Copies of Report Card/Transcript ( notarized ) ;
c. Copies of " Foreigner Physical Examination” ;
d. Letter of Recommendation--those who apply for study for master or doctoral degree and apply as a senior visiting scholar to study in China shall submit Letter of Recommendation recommended at least by 2 people who at least shall not be below the status of associate professors;
e. 1 cassette tape-- applicants of music majors are required to submit 1 cassette tape of their own work; 6 their color photographs-- applicants of fine arts must provide 6 their color photographs works of their own (of which two are sketches, two color paintings ) ;
f. Transcript of basic knowledge of math, physics and chemistry-- those apply for learning undergraduate majors of science, engineering, agriculture and medicine are required to submit a test transcript of basic knowledge of math, physics and chemistry; test results of basic math --those who apply to study undergraduate majors of economics, trade and management are required to submit test results of basic math knowledge.
Applicants who are sent by foreign educational institutions or non-governmental friendship organizations shall send above application materials to their recommendation institutions which in turn shall deliver to the CSC; every individual applicant shall submit the above application materials directly to the CSC. Submission deadline is by May 31, 2001 .
IV. Approval of Application
1. Where the applicants are recommended by the relevant foreign educational institutions and non-governmental friendship organizations, their materials are reviewed and approved by the CSC which, after negotiating with relevant universities or colleges, will by o 31 July 2001 send the "Admission Notice" of the Chinese universities/colleges and the "Visa Application Form for Foreign students to study in China "(JW201 form) to the recommendation organizations, which will in turn hand to the applicant.
2. Where the applicants are individuals at their own expense, the "Admission Notice" and the "Visa Application Form for Foreign students to study in China " (JW202 form) will be sent by Chinese universities directly to the applicants.
V. Dealing of China Visa, Medical Review and Residence in China
1. The admitted students must hold an ordinary passport, with "Letter of Admission", "Visa Application Form for foreign students to study in China" and the original of the "Records of Foreigner Physical Examination " to the local Chinese Embassy (or consulate) for applying (X) or (F) visa to study in China, and shall hold the originals of these documents for entry.
2. After arrival and registration and completion of the registration fee payment, the applicant is required to hold the originals of the passport and the "Records of Foreigner Physical Examination " to the local health and quarantine department for physical reexamination.
3. The applicants shall, within 30 days from the date of entry, hold passport, the "Letter of Admission", "Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" and the "Proof of foreigners physical verification" to the local police department to apply for residence permit in China.