Simplified Chinese

Home Overview Information Investment Carrier Schooling Settling-down Life Tourism Entry and Exit
      Guide to Handling Affairs
首页  Settling-down  Guide to Handling Affairs
Notice to Foreigners Seeking Refuge with Internal Lineal Relatives in Nanjing Applying for Visas

Ⅰ.  Applying for Visa

Foreigners who are over the age of 60, have no lineal relatives abroad, and come to Nanjing to seek refuge with internal lineal relatives should enter China  with L-visa. L-visa holders can stay in China within the valid staying period specified on their visas. Those who wish to extend their stay should apply for another visa from the Exit and Entry Administration Division of Public Security Bureau.

Applicants can apply for zero-entry, single-entry, or double-entry L-visas that are valid for up to six months. They can also apply for six-month-valid multi-entry or one-year-valid multi-entry L-visas, and they can apply as many times as they wish.

Applicants must answer related questions if asked, and provide the following documents:

1.    Your original and valid passport and L-visa, as well as copies of your  passport and L-visa;
2.    Temporary Residence Registration Certificate;
3.    Properly-completed Foreigner’s Visa and Residence Permit Application Form with a photograph affixed to the form. The photograph should be:
?two inches in size
?taken recently, showing current appearance
?show full face and front view with a plain white or off-white background
?taken in normal street attire (do not wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline); 
4.    Permanent household registration documents of Chinese citizens with whom you are seeking refuges or your Foreigner’s Permanent Residence Permits;
5.    Notarized kinship certificates verifying the relationship between yourself and your relatives;
6.    Notarized documents verifying that you have no lineal relatives abroad;
7.    Notarized documents about your financial source or financial warranty documents of your relatives with whom you are seeking refuges;
8.    Notarized original as well as copies of house lease or property right certificates of yours or your relative’s.

Note: Documents issued to applicants previously by institutions abroad must be authenticated by Chinese embassies or consulates abroad.

Ⅱ. Re-applying for Visa

In addition to the above-mentioned required documents, foreigners holding new passports and re-applying for L-visas should also provide the following documents:

1.    If you hold a new passport because your previous passport was lost, stolen, or damaged, you should provide certificates of passport loss report issued by the departments in charge of administration of exit and entry under the public security organs or provide certificates issued by relevant foreign embassies or consulates in China;
2.    If you hold a new passport because your previous passport was expired or your visa pages had run out, you should provide the previous passport that you used when you entered China;
3.    For foreign infants born in China and holding separate passports, their parents must provide original birth certificates of the infants and copies of the parents’ passports.


1.    Applicants must pay application fee in accordance with the relevant regulations of competent organs of Chinese government.
2.    Foreigners holding L-visa are forbidden to work in China. The public security organs will impose punishment in accordance with law on those foreigners or responsible persons who unlawfully reside or stay in China or break law in China.
3.    Applicants’ valid staying period and the total entry times should be based on the result of approval by the departments in charge of administration of exit and entry under public security organs.
4.    The departments in charge of administration of exit and entry under public security organs have the right to refuse to issue visas and documents to foreigners in accordance with law, and to revoke the issued visas and documents or declare null and void.
5.    The normal processing time, including accepting application, examination, approval, and issue of visas, is five business days.

Nanjing Exit-and-Entry Administration Division 
Public Security Bureau

About Us   |   Contact Us   |   Legal Declaration   |   Site Map
Copyright 2009 Nanjing China All Rights Reserved